Jan 11, 2010

Wrapping Up the Holidays (no pun intended : )

Another Christmas has come and gone. Seems like the season flew and my break from school is now over. *sigh* Yet, there’s something exciting about a new year beginning. No matter how many “new years” I go through, I think it will always have that feeling of possibility, of change, of difference. People are busy making resolutions and sticking to them. Me? I have no resolutions in particular. I have general goals that I want to keep my focus on this year. First, stop looking behind and ahead, instead look around and take in the moment. Second, don’t let the image in the mirror become more important than the condition of my heart. Third, make sure everyone I love, knows it. They seem simple in writing, but as always, in practice is the true test. Words are empty promises left unfulfilled unless someone decides to take action and breathe them into life. I hope I will be able to do just that.


So, although I just said I would stop looking behind, I’m reflecting on Christmas break this year. I didn’t mean that I could never look back, I just mean that instead of looking back regretfully or wishfully, that I appreciate the moments and lessons and enjoy what’s going on now. The past is the past.

Anyway, here are a few photos that sum up my short month (minus one week in Killington, Vermont) home.

Enjoyed some smokin' hot chicken soup topped with melted cheey deliciousness : )
oh...and cornbread- how could I forget the cornbread?!

Then, we celebrated my brother's big 22nd birthday.


Enjoyed the Christmas Music Special (don't really know if that's what it was called) at the Lake Placid Conference Center.  The kids had me smiling from ear to ear, but the drummer from Caleb's Cadence was my favorite- I have a picture of him right.....oh, here it is!

(I did NOT practice on Photoshop at all this Christmas break ; )



Christmas goodies: YUM.

Coconut macaroons- not a huge fan of coconut, but they looked like so much fun to make, so I had to!


Taking lessons from the pro in the kitchen (the lady up there with the pretty smile : )

Preparing for the toss.

Here it is...testing to see if the noodles are done.  If they stick to the cabinet, they are.  I'm still wondering if someone just came up with this because it's way more fun than timing or tasting them!

Pots 'a cookin' for Grandma's Bacon and Spaghetti Recipe

Decorating...
and contemplating...

 
and decorating...

and decorating....definitely puts me in the spirit!
The last picture is one of my favorites.

Of course, I couldn't forget to set aside some time this Christmas Break to goof off with Darby!

Acting like 5 year olds- so excited about sledding on the "test track."

Enjoying the beautiful scenery of Killington (and the freezing cold... -15!)

Quite possibly one of the best restaruants I've eaten at- called The Garlic.


This is one of the best Christmas breaks I've ever had.  Now that I'm older I pay so much more attention to the little moments and the people around me instead of the big presents or the elaborate parties.  Like my dad said the other day, "The older I get the more I realize it doesn't really matter where I am, just who I'm with."  Couldn't have said it better myself.  I cherish time with my family more and more each moment.

Leaving to come back to Ft. Lauderdale was so hard this time.  I had a huge knot in my stomach like the first time that I moved away to college.  I guess when I leave, I just think about the time I will miss spending with the amazing people I get to call my family...like I might not be a part of one of those moments where you look around and realize that life is good with them by your side.  God has truly blessed me, and I don't think any words could convey just how lucky I feel.

So....to sum it up, my break consisted of laughing, cooking, snow skiing, reading (Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom- you sooooo have to check it out), shopping, decorating, wrapping, smiling, vegging (is that a word?), roasting marshmallows, seeing friends, and watching movies.  Who could ask for more?

Now...time to clean up from the holidays- the blog needs a new look.  Not tonight though, I gotta get in bed early for my long day of classes tomorrow (10:45-12:00, 1:00-4:00, 6:00-10:00- AHHHH!).  What is that saying my mom uses?  "This too shall pass."  Haha- good night, blogland.  Hello, sweet dreams : )


0 comments:

 
 
Copyright © this is me
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com